BiscuiT 发表于 2009-2-3 12:51:02

2 Feb 2009 21:54:21 UTC

Happy Monday everybody. I guess I should move on from the January thread title theme (odd little towns/places/features in southern Utah which I've been to during many nearly-annual backpacking/hiking adventures in the area - easily one of the best parts of the U.S.).

We did almost run out of data files to split (to generate workunits) over the weekend. This was due to (a) awaiting data drives to be shipped up from Arecibo and (b) HPSS (the offsite archival storage) was down for several days last week for an upgrade - so we couldn't download any unanalysed data from there until the weekend. Jeff got that transfer started once HPSS was back up. We also got the data drives, and I'm reading in some now.

The Astropulse splitters have been deliberately off for several reasons, including to allow SETI@home to catch up. We also may increase the dispersion measure analysis range which will vastly increase the scientific output of Astropulse while having the beneficial side effect of taking longer to process (and thus helping to reduce our bandwidth constraint woes). However, word on the street is that some optimizations have been uncovered which may speed Astropulse back up again. We shall see how this all plays out. I'm all for optimized code, even if that means bandwidth headaches.

Speaking of bandwidth, we seem to be either maxed out or at zero lately. This is mostly due to massive indigestion - a couple weeks ago a bug in the scheduler sent out a ton of excess work, largely to CUDA clients. It took forever for these clients to download the workunits but they eventually did, and now the results are coming back en masse. This means the queries/sec rate on mysql went up about 50% on average for the past several days, which in turn caused the database to start paging to the point where queries backed up for hours, hence the traffic dips (and some web site slowness). We all agreed this morning that this would pass eventually and it'll just be slightly painful until it does. Maybe the worst is behind us.

- Matt

BiscuiT 发表于 2009-2-4 13:54:28

4 Feb 2009 0:35:10 UTC

So then. We had our weekly outage today. We knew it would be a long one - the result table is bloated for various reasons so it took forever to compress. This may help get past this period of "indigestion" I mentioned in the previous thread, but there's no sign of it getting much better any time soon. Expect continuing network pain. Plus Bob is resync'ing the mysql replica, so that'll be behind a bit in the near term.

Quite often we recompile all the back-end servers with code thoroughly tested in beta and switch in these new versions in the public project during the outage. We did so today, and the splitters and assimilators all freaked out upon starting up this afternoon with library linking errors. What a hassle. It seems like our servers are slowly getting more and more out of sync, given some are 32-bit, some are 64-bit, some are running this rev of the OS, some are running that rev, some have this package installed, some don't, etc. and this is apparently becoming a problem. Like we have time to clean this all up.

<obnoxious rant>
I was having an offline discussion with a friend who insists that C++ is a vast improvement on C, and that C programmers who complain about C++'s major failings are living in the past or "just don't understand." I wouldn't mind the debate except C++ afficianados usually adopt a smug, condescending tone regarding C programmers that reminds me of republicans describing democrats. In any case there was a programming mystery today that ate up a man-hour of my and Jeff's time. If the object in question was just a struct it would have been painfully obvious. Instead the problem was obscured in vague assignment operator behavior. Does anybody have an actual, simple example of C++ code that is (a) easier to debug than analogous C code, (b) required less manpower to generate, and (c) will be forever useful and understood? I'm willing to be convinced, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe it's just a different (and not necessarily better) kind of brain that loves C++, but I tend to think it stemmed from the evil part of our monkey mind that turns a blind eye toward unnecessary complication for everybody in the hope that things may be easier for ourself later on. Or the other evil part of our monkey mind that foists contorted methodology on others as some sort of sick competition (which may be fun but is hardly productive). K&R = 200 pages. Stroustrup = 1000 pages. Is C++ really 500% better that it requires 500% the pages to describe? Nope. Case closed.
</obnoxious rant>

- Matt

BiscuiT 发表于 2009-2-5 11:04:40

4 Feb 2009 22:01:23 UTC

Moving on... We seem to have eventually recovered just fine from the replica resync, as well as the outage in general. Traffic is still very high, but at least just below the point of impossibility. The assimilator queue is indeed dropping, which is a good thing, as that means we're inching closer to removing all the excess workunits and results from the disk, as well as the database. We still seem to be dealing with the result indigestion I described two days ago, but this too is sloooowly getting better over time.

We've been having some load issues on the web server (thinman). There were no obvious signs of being DOS'ed or over-spidered, if anything it seemed like apache developed a memory leak. I yum'ed in the latest kernel, rebooted the machine (in case anybody noticed a 5 minute outage earlier today), and it looks okay at this point. Maybe just a simple case of reboot-itis.

Just found another potential problem with the radar blanking code. Sigh... (Don't worry - it's not a C++ issue).

- Matt

v724 发表于 2009-2-5 11:38:59

C++。说的是什么啊。。

。。。不小心灌水了。。。请删……

[ 本帖最后由 v724 于 2009-2-5 12:00 编辑 ]

BiscuiT 发表于 2009-2-6 16:47:33

5 Feb 2009 23:57:23 UTC

Spent a large chunk of the day actually programming, which is nice. It seems like the network bandwidth bottleneck part of our malaise over the past couple of weeks has finally gone away - we're back down to a floor of 60 Mbits/sec. However, the mysql database is still quite clogged up. Looks like as I type this sentence we're still having fits as the splitters/feeders/etc. can't get their queries through fast enough. I'm hoping the bandwidth drop means the excess results were all finally downloaded, which means in the next few days they'll return, and we can finally get them validated/assimilated/deleted and out of our hair.

There was a sweeping change in web code brought on line this afternoon. This broke web account authentication, making it impossible for people to log in. Oops. Not my bad - don't kill the messenger. Anyway it was fixed quickly enough.

- Matt

BiscuiT 发表于 2009-2-10 12:43:40

9 Feb 2009 22:48:18 UTC

My mondays are generally spent (a) figuring out what went wrong over the weekend (if anything), (b) cleaning up the data pipeline which has been running on its own for three days, and (c) preparing for or sitting in meetings. Today wasn't so different.

Between my radar blanking tests, Jeff's NTPCkr tests, Josh's astropulse development, and Eric's hydrogen studies we're suddenly finding ourselves woefully low on CPU/memory power. Sure, we have 100 CPUs in our closet, but I'm kind of a fuddy-duddy when it comes to running non-critical processes on our high-availability public facing machines. This is frustrating to others as these machines are the ones best suited for the testing/development we're doing. Luckily, we have one server, maul, which can never be a critical system as it has a test motherboard which would be fine except it intermittently loses contact with the keyboard. So this is our one CPU server which is now usually overloaded to the point of unusability.

We do have two machines coming to the rescue: One from Intel, actually donated around the same time as maul. We haven't gotten around to installing an OS on it until today. Why? Well, that means also needing an IP address for it. The university charges us monthly per IP address we use, so to conserve funds we've been keen on only bringing systems online we actually intend to use, preferably to replace a current system. The second machine is a similarly powerful one that we received from a private donor last week.. but the motherboard was DOA. At least that's our theory. We'll get that replaced soon. Both systems will go a long way towards reducing our current development/testing constraints - something we haven't been worried about too much over the past decade because we've been mostly in a mode of data collection/reduction instead of final data analysis... in case you haven't noticed. I'm happy this is changing (or at least portending to change).

- Matt

BiscuiT 发表于 2009-2-11 08:55:37

10 Feb 2009 23:03:00 UTC

Today's Tuesday - that means weekly outage. Outside of the normal database backup/compression drill I went through the rigamarole of changing the user id of mysql on the master database server (and updated the ownership of all its files), if only for administrative ease now that it matches the same user id as all other instances of mysql here in our group.

I also decided to yum up several servers that were lagging behind since we have been getting ugly yet harmless kernel warning messages for a while now. Unfortunately, this general update included a buggy nfs package (which I knew was buggy months ago but assumed they must have fixed this by now) which then locked up one of our main file servers, thus grinding everything to a halt. It was an annoying hour or so trying to figure this all out, and ultimately the only solution was to fall back to an old version of nfs. Not sure why this nfs-utils package is *still* in the repositories.

Josh is working on getting another astropulse client out into the world today, and is fighting with the code signing machine as I type this sentence.

Here's another problem we've been having over the past couple weeks, and it doesn't seem to be getting better: ants. I typically don't take a lunch break, and just nosh all day by my computer during small cracks of time. Dave and Jeff are the same way, and have the next two desks adjacent to me. Even though we're on the third floor the ants finally found the motherload of crumbs and unwashed utensils left on our desktops. There's not enough of them to find their exact point of entry nor plot their general plan of action. So throughout the day I've been mashing the little buggers as I spot them. Hopefully they'll just give up and disappear - meanwhile my work space is smelling more and more like formic acid.

- Matt

BiscuiT 发表于 2009-2-12 08:27:55

11 Feb 2009 23:01:41 UTC

Before releasing the astropulse application Eric had to add a couple fields to the result tables in the science database that are now necessary. These are large fields, and it's taking informix forever to update the table. The job was started 24 hours ago and is still chugging along. I guess it doesn't help that the assimilator queue is still rather large (though it is draining). So the release is delayed until this job finishes.

The radar blanking stuff I was whining about the other day has nothing to do with the astropulse release, in case there was some confusion about that. Josh and I are working on two completely separate and different forms of radar mitigation. Mine is to better clean up data before any splitting/analysis, Josh's is to deal with radar that squeaked through the first pass and made it all the way to the client. The good news is that I made significant progress on mine today.

- Matt

BiscuiT 发表于 2009-2-13 10:55:49

12 Feb 2009 20:20:58 UTC

Looks like "Astropulse V5" was finally released yesterday night. As far as I know so far, so good - work is going out, results are being validated. However, it seems like jocelyn (the master mysql database server) had a long period of mysterious pain over night, and recovered on its own this morning. This happens from time to time on our mysql servers, perhaps due to its own nebulous data scrubbing, or perhaps due to lack of memory which is becoming more a problem as the database continues to grow and less of it fits in RAM. Unless anybody out there has a couple Sun-qualified 2GB DIMMs that work in Sun v40z's kicking around, we're going to purchase a few. Currently the system has 28GB of RAM - 12 slots with 2GB DIMMs, the remaining 4 with 1GB. We hope to at least upgrade those four to 2GB. It is unclear whether or not our version of the v40z can take 4GB DIMMs (and go over 32GB total).

As for radar blanking, let me clear up the general picture.

Now that we are using the ALFA receiver (since 2006) we are susceptible to military radar, which causes many overflows in our SETI@home/astropulse analysis. The transmitter is aimed right at us approximately every 12 seconds, and then echoes bounce all over the mountains surrounding the telescope the rest of the time. Even the echoes cause us to overflow. The radar is fairly unpredictable - the military isn't very forthcoming about their transmission patterns, and when they are going to change to another pattern. Nevertheless, it is predictable enough: there are about 6 known "patterns" us civilians can lock on to.

Luckily, Arecibo solved this problem for us. They have a hardware device that broadcasts a bit letting all projects at the observatory know when it thinks the radar is on (1 for on, 0 for off). This we call the "hardware blanker" - and we inject this bit into an unused channel in our raw data. This has been quite helpful: when the bit is "1" we'd randomize the data, thus squashing the overflows. At least in theory - there were still three problems.

Problem 1: We only got the hardware blanker working sometime in 2007, so there is no such blanking information in the previous years' worth of data, thus rendering it fairly useless.

Problem 2: The hardware blanker sometimes isn't on like it should be, or even worse is mis-locked onto a wrong pattern and going out of phase with the actual radar, which also renders data quite useless.

Here's where my code comes in: The "software radar blanker." Actually, this is code/logic written by a summer student, Luke, and then I cleaned it up and (apparently so far) got it working. In short, the software radar blanker does a statistical analysis of the raw data - basically looking to see when we're blasted by radar and then trying to lock on to known patterns, and extrapolate from there. Luckily there's another free bit available in the raw data, so the ultimate plan is for raw data to come up here, go through the software radar blanker, and then process. The splitter will use the software and hardware radar blanker bits (exactly how is still up for discussion) to randomize the data. This brings us to...

Problem 3: The randomization shouldn't be totally random. Initially we were injecting white noise into the data when we were blanking. Turns out this causes edge effects and other artifacts during the client analysis. This noise was eventually shaped to fall in line with noise we'd expect to see from a quiet Arecibo. The exact mathematical details of this are left to others who aren't me. I was out of this loop.

All the above was taking too long, so Josh actually implemented code in the astropulse client to reduce some of these radar problems until they are completely solved. He isn't radar "blanking" (which happens during workunit creation) as much as having the clients find stuff that is probably radar and treating it accordingly. For what it's worth, one of the CASPER guys, Andrew, has been having the same exact military radar problems with the pulsar data they've been collecting at the ATA, so he's been simultaneously working on his own radar mitigation techniques. Man, the earth is noisy.

In any case, I figure it'll be about a month of testing/tweaking before we're actually using the software blanker.

- Matt

BiscuiT 发表于 2009-2-18 08:43:42

17 Feb 2009 23:42:50 UTC

Over the long (President's Day) weekend one of our storage servers had a headache. Not a big deal, and we got to the bottom of it today (pretty much just a RAID drive failure). We were able to get a workaround in place so we could start generating/saving workunits again, and will slowly transition back to normal over the next day or two. It has been a bit rocky the last few days because the workaround involves a different RAID with far less I/O throughput.

There's always a bright side during work tranmission failures: we get to catch up on backlogged queues. So by the time we had our usual database compression/backup outage today the result table was relatively small, and therefore got packed down nice and tight. That's always helpful.

Spent most of the day with the fallout of the above, while also getting a couple systems configured for new duty - mostly administrative/CPU servers that will replace a some older clunkers.

- Matt

BiscuiT 发表于 2009-2-19 14:40:53

18 Feb 2009 23:39:35 UTC

Still having ups and downs with the raw data storage. Possibly a second disk failure. We'll get to the bottom of it soon enough. Traffic may be a bit rocky at times, but hopefully not so much. We also just noticed a drive failed on our upload backup storage. That RAID pulled in a spare without anybody realizing what happened until Jeff and I saw the little orange light in the closet today. We really need better monitoring tools. Actually, we have the tools - we just need time to implement them. Still, it's not a super-critical logical drive (it contains backup data from a separate RAID device) so we're not panicked trying to procure a new spare... yet.

I wish I had more positive things to report today. This details I'm failing to mention out aren't all that fun either. Not my day today, I guess.

- Matt

BiscuiT 发表于 2009-2-20 07:43:19

19 Feb 2009 20:41:57 UTC

As we move toward the weekend we're sticking with the current raw data storage workarounds, which means servers are loaded heavier than we'd like, but at least data is still flowing. I wouldn't be surprised if there are network hiccups or if the assimilator queue swells during the weekend.

So far this morning lots of chores. Bob and I got a shipment of empty data drives bundled up to be sent to Arecibo. I finished getting the new CPU server configured (now me, Eric, Josh, and Jeff are in less competition for cycles). I made more strides towards retiring the last two Solaris machines. Honestly, depending on the development/production environment I'd still probably prefer Solaris over linux. So I'm sad to see these systems go, but they are both very old Sparc machines that we simply don't need anymore.

Late last week Eric, Jeff and I had a quick meeting to discuss current candidate scoring algorithms - we're pretty sure we'll have to tweak them as we go, but we're in enough agreement to get started implementing this part of the NTPCker. Jeff's been all over that this week. I'm just now turning my focus back to actual development, too. My software radar blanker now agrees with the hardware blanker 90% of the time, which is a very good start. I can add an additional 5% just by adjusting thresholds, but the real test is to run software blanked data through the pipeline and see which workunits generate more RFI (the ones using hardware blanking or the ones using software blanking).

- Matt

BiscuiT 发表于 2009-2-24 09:50:34

23 Feb 2009 21:06:51 UTC

Our outbound traffic has been pegged since Friday. This may seem like only a download problem, but it even affects uploads, as the basic syn/ack handshaking packets on the upload server get dropped along with the rest of the download packets that can't make it through the dam.

After discussions with Eric and Jeff, here's what we gather is happening. We use coral cache to reduce our bandwidth needs. Coral cache is an easy-to-use, free, third-party system which does some nice distributed caching just by redirecting the right apache requests to their servers. For example, somebody wants to download the latest astropulse client, they go to our download server, and then they redirected automatically to the coral cache server. The redirect is of the form such that, if the coral cache server hasn't done so already, it downloads the latest astropulse client from us, caches it, and then sends it to the requester. Once cached, it doesn't need to contact our servers again. So, in essence, all but one of the client download requests hit originate from sources outside our lab, thus saving us lots of bandwidth.

That brings us to problem 1. Many ISPs don't like redirects to third-party IPs. This is understandable. What happens in this case is a client downloads a new application, but instead of getting the actual executable they get a blob of HTML saying "this ISP doesn't like third party redirects," etc. Obviously the checksum of this HTML blob won't match the executable checksum, resulting in an application download checksum error. This has been a known problem. So we've been only using coral cache during the first couple of weeks after a new application is made available to reduce the pain of the download rush. A small fraction of our users will be inconvenienced by those redirect errors, but they'll get their clients in due time when coral cache is turned off after the initial "wave."

But then there's problem 2. An application download checksum error (a) doesn't cause exponential backoff and (b) causes all workunits also requested by this particular client to be errored out and resent. This is at least the behavior is older, yet still commonly used, boinc clients. Dave said most of that has been addressed, but if they're still bugs they'll be fixed.

In any case, what we saw this weekend was a confluence of these two problems. This may not have been an issue before due to lighter traffic patterns, but we sure fell off the deep end this time. Maybe there was a small set of heavily active clients this time around causing most of the pain. And once the network gets pegged, all hell breaks loose, and it takes a while to heal itself.

Eric actually had most of this figured out before we arrived today, and already turned off coral cache. At least the broken redirects spiraling out of control would stop happening. He also adjusted the tcp settings on the upload server to help get those partially working again (instead of only 2% uploads getting through, now it's about 50%).

The plan is to let this current state of indigestion pass on its own, and if needed change some BOINC settings (if not also BOINC code) so that future coral cache attempts will be direct links as opposed to apache redirects.

- Matt

最近的问题似乎仅仅是下载问题, 但它同时影响到上传.. 上传服务器的同步/确认信息跟随下载信息一起堵塞..

从收集的情况看, 问题可能来自 coral 服务器, 本来使用 coral 服务器是为了减轻带宽需求, 它是免费的第三方系统, 可以让请求重定向到他们的服务器. 例如有用户需要下载 ap 的应用程序, 他们连接到sah的下载服务器, 并重定向到 coral 服务器.. 如果coral服务器没有需要的问题, 它就会到sah的服务器缓存中下载, 并发放给用户.. 一旦缓存了, 就不再需要连接sah的服务器. 从本质上说, 它很节省sah的大量带宽..

而这给我们带来了问题, 1. 许多ISP商不喜欢重定向到第三方IP, 在这种情况下一个客户端下载新的应用程序, 会发生校检错误, 这是一个已知的问题, 所以coral也是在新的计算程序发布后几周才使用, 以减少下载高峰的问题.. 一小部分用户会因为重定向而下载不便, 但他们会在coral服务器关闭后解决..

但随后的问题, 2. 一个应用程序下载校检错误不造成指数退减, 导致这一特定用户请求的所有wu都下载错误并重发. Dave说大部分的问题已得到解决.

现在 coral 服务器已经关闭, 至少让几乎失控的重定向问题不再发生, 同时调整了上传服务器的TCP设置(现在是50%获得通过而不是2%)

这个计划是自身的问题, 通过更改BOINC的设置(不是代码), 以便今后直接连接 coral服务器而不是重定向..

BiscuiT 发表于 2009-2-25 21:12:48

25 Feb 2009 0:16:11 UTC

Had our weekly maintenance outage today, including the usual chores. I took the opportunity to replace a failed drive on one of our administrative file servers. I also issued the long-overdue final "shutdown" command on another administrative server, kang, which we no longer use. Many years ago, during the early days of SETI@home, several Sun representatives came by one day to discuss our progress. We thought it was just an informal touching-base kind of meeting, but they told us at the end they were going to donate a whole rack full of 6 state-of-the-art Sun servers and 2 disk arrays. Sun has always been nice to us, but this was completely unexpected. We eventually dubbed this the "k-rack" as we named every server after a sci-fi character starting with "k" (kang, kodos, kosh, klaatu, kryten, koloth). Well, kang, was the last one to go - the end of an era. We're still using the rack itself, though - very useful.

Network bandwidth woes continue, moreso now that we're coming out of the weekly outage. Lots of discussion about this in the previous thread - let me see if I can wrap up all the major points quickly. There are three potential solutions to our bandwidth limitations that we are actively entertaining/researching with the related parties. They are: 1. get a full 1Gbit link up to our server closet (pros: zero migration, cons: time/cost - about $80K in parts/labor), 2. collocation on campus (pros: minimal cost/migration, cons: almost impossible nuisance having to administer from a distance), 3. have a third-party entity host/administer everything (pros: we can ditch sysadmin for once and get back to work, cons: major cost, major migration). Each of these solutions requires a major amount of "getting ducks in row" (due to equipment policies, contract terms, general scheduling issues, etc.) - it's hardly just a money issue. Of course there are other options, too, like putting all efforts into final data analysis and shutting down SETI@home. One major issue is that our server closet (roughly 100 CPUs, 100 TB disk, 200 GB RAM) operates atomically - it's all or nothing. We can't just move one piece somewhere else. It's long and complicated - please don't make me explain why unless there's a free pitcher of beer involved.

- Matt

带宽的问题持续着...
对此有3个解决方案:
1. 获得一个独享 1Gbit 带宽线路到服务器.. (优点: 不需迁移工作; 缺点: 时间/花费 -部件及人工大约需要8万美刀..
2. 搭配校园网络.. (优点: 最低的花费/迁移; 缺点: 远程管理上的诸多不便..
3. 获得第三方的实体主机/管理所有服务.. (优点: 可以一次过沟通系统管理并恢复工作; 缺点: 较多的花费..较多的迁移工作

所有这些方案都需要大量的工作..不仅仅是资金问题...当然还有其他选择...例如把所有结果汇总分析并关闭SETI@home...

一个主要的问题是我们自动运行的服务器室 (大约有100个CPUs, 100TB硬盘, 200GB内存), 我们不能只移动一部分去其他地方.. 这要很长时间并且非常复杂...请不要让我解析为啥...除非有吃了菠菜的大力水手来解决...囧

BiscuiT 发表于 2009-2-26 16:48:52

25 Feb 2009 22:48:42 UTC

It looked like we got beyond the current deluge without too much intervention. Good. Then our bandwidth spiked again. Bad. But then it recovered once more. Good. Oh well, whatever. We're still just in "wait and see if it gets better on its own" mode around here - if we hit our bandwidth limits (and we understand why) there's not much else we can do.

Spent a chunk of the day tracking down current donation processing issues. What a pain. I really need to document the whole crazy donation system so other people around here can fix these problems when they arise. Maybe I'll do that later today. Other than that, just some data pipeline/sysadmin type stuff.

A note about the server status page: Every 10 minutes a BOINC script runs which does several things including: 1. start/restart servers that aren't running but should be, and 2. run a bunch of "task" scripts, like the one that generates the server status page. Since this status page script runs once every ten minutes, it is only a snapshot in time - not a continuum. It also could take several minutes to run its course, as it is scanning many heavily loaded servers. So the data towards the top of the page is representative of a minute or two earlier than the data towards the bottom. And server processes, like ap_validator, hiccup from time to time and get restarted every 10 minutes, then maybe process a few hundred workunits, but fail again a second before the status page checks its status. So even though it was running the past couple of minutes it shows up as "Not Running." In short, don't trust anything on that page at first glance.

- Matt
页: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
查看完整版本: SETI@home 技术新闻 2009

论坛官方淘宝店开业啦~