找回密码
 新注册用户
搜索
楼主: BiscuiT

SETI@home 2008 技术新闻

[复制链接]
发表于 2008-4-17 09:59:58 | 显示全部楼层
sofar那么好与新workunit服务器。我们从recentspate的停电相当快。该assimilator排队出发todrain在一个良好的夹子,太。如果每个人都看在交通graphsand看见一个"凸点"在过去小时左右-这就是我们派出o urraw数据h pssover飓风管(外送过了s tandardcampus管) 。与最近购买的(并聘用)磁碟enclosurethis额外的带宽是目前可能的,并且每一点帮助( punintended ) 。

大部分的工作,今天的节目。在总结工作,对precessrecalculator -可能会部署在下周。 astropulse和thentpckr都是刚刚在街角等。我知道我们已经beensaying这一阵子,但它变得更真实,以往一天。很多bigthings未来下来派克。

-马特

GOOGLE的翻印功能真的是令人汗颜啊!
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-4-23 21:13:22 | 显示全部楼层

22 Apr 2008 22:27:41 UTC

Back from a long weekend out of town. Didn't seem to miss very much. I checked the network graphs while I was away and saw no dips, so that's a pretty good sign things were generally healthy in my absence. There was another seemingly bogus disk failure on thumper. Is smartd being too sensitive? The drive tagged as potentially faulty was failed/re-added without much ado. Today had the usual outage. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

One funny thing - for an unspecified amount of time nobody on the Berkeley campus (outside of the space lab) was able to connect to our servers to receive/send SETI@home data. This was due to asymmetrical routing - a problem on our public facing servers that send data over our ISP (as opposed to via the campus LAN). Jeff found and fixed the problem and I updated the network scripts to make sure a reboot doesn't break it again.

Jeff just spent an hour or so walking me through the current nitpicker (i.e. the candidate-finder) code. This really is one of those simple concepts that requires a complex solution. I find it frustrating to describe why, as the reasons are hardly obvious, and the problems are nested. We used to do this stuff with our own human brains which can find patterns and detect duplicates and RFI quickly as long as the data fits on a couple pages. This isn't so much the case anymore, and getting the computers to smartly (and efficiently) do the same grouping, comparing, and discarding is difficult. Think of it this way: you have a bunch of friends and you realize two of them are single and, based on many different variables, perhaps quite compatible - so you set them up on a date. Easy, no? Now try to run a completely automated dating service trying to accurately pair up every single person on the planet with the best possible mate. Not as easy. In any case, I might start throwing random output from it on the science status page which is of anecdotal interest. Like extra info about where we're currently pointing and what we've seen there before. Check for that in the next day or so.

- Matt
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-4-25 19:19:03 | 显示全部楼层

24 Apr 2008 20:33:28 UTC

Work week wrapup. No major news outside of things I already posted here and elsewhere. People are out sick. Man there's been a lot of nasty bugs going around this year. I've been catching up on minor nagging items. Mostly cleaning up the lab - some recently donated servers are stuck waiting on fedora core 9 to be released as well as having no place to physically put the things to set them up. We have a lunch table in the center of the lab piled with random stuff so we're all eating lunch at our desks. Also worked on donation system upgrades. The IT people on campus are now allowing us to pass hidden user ids which will vastly increase my ability to match green stars to specific donators (we've been relying on people entering the right e-mail address on the donation form). Some updates to the boinc web interface broke a few pages - I fixed all that. Yeah.. lots of the usual day-to-day tasks.

- Matt
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-4-29 08:31:51 | 显示全部楼层

28 Apr 2008 22:59:14 UTC

Back from a relatively painless weekend. Except the replica mysql database is screwed up again - it got stuck on a duplicate ID (not sure why) which is relatively harmless but this caused its logs to grow at an inordinate rate, filling up the data drives and bringing the whole thing out of sync. Fine. We'll recreate the replica again during the outage tomorrow (much like we did a couple weeks ago).

Since we've been fairly stable the past couple of weeks I continued to send out the "reminder" e-mails today which has already rocketed our active user base back over 200,000. This is good, as our current data flow bottleneck is the amount of data we are able process, so the more computers the better. Tell your friends!

- Matt
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-4-30 19:26:33 | 显示全部楼层

29 Apr 2008 22:08:03 UTC

During today's outage, Jeff and I did yet more reorganization of room 329, culminating in finally, for the first time ever, putting sidious in a rack. This was a major step in filling this particular rack, which will hopefully replace one of the three racks in the closet sooner than later. We also did the steps to rebuild the replica database, which is happening in the background now. May complete tonight or tomorrow, and then it shall "catch up" quickly after that and we'll be back in business on that front.

Clarifying the bottleneck I mentioned yesterday - this is strictly due to our current data processing rate. Drives with raw data come in, which we always archive to off site storage as well as copy into our processing directory (where the splitters read them to make workunits). In a perfect world, we'd be processing data as fast as we archive them, but to do so would require a lot more active users. So frequently our 8 terabyte processing directory fills up with unsplit data, and everything logjams. So this isn't a database bottleneck - it's a data bottleneck. More people/computers is the solution.

Still, people asked for more info about the quality/quantity of database throughput. Here's a short essay about that. This is by no means complete it's but a good start.

We have two databases, the mysql database which is BOINC specific (running on jocelyn, replicated on sidious - we call it the "BOINC" database), and the informix database which is SETI specific (running on thumper, replicated on bambi - we call it the "science" database).

The science database, while very very large (billions of rows) is not a problem under normal conditions, even as we insert over million new rows every day. This is because inserts are generally at the ends of tables, so it's all pretty much sequential writes and that's it. With the introduction of actual scientific data analysis comes large numbers of random access reads. Earlier this years tests using the NTPCkr (our software to do such analysis) showed this will be a problem so we spent a couple months reconfiguring the science database server/RAID systems to optimize random access performance. We seem to be in the clear for now as we continue NTPCkr testing.

The BOINC database is largely where problems arise, partially because this is our public facing database, i.e. users notice quickly when it isn't working. This contains all data pertaining to user stats, the web site, result/workunit flow, and the whole BOINC backend state machine. On average it gets about 600 queries per second, peaking at well over 2000 per second (like now, as we recover from today's outage). Thanks to many years of gaining expertise forming proper queries and creating proper indexes, 99% of these queries are super duper fast. But there are still unavoidable issues.

The lifetime of a particular workunit and its constituent results is long, as they are created, sit on disk waiting to be sent, hang out in the database as users process them after which they succomb to the whole validation/assimilation/deletion cycle, and finally get purged after a 24 grace period (so users can still see finished results up on the web for some time after completion).

Due to this lifetime at any given point we have roughly 3 million workunits and 6 million results in the BOINC database. This is all important data, but it's mostly metadata - the scientific stuff is contained on larger files on disk. So even with these large tables, and the user/host tables, and forum/post/thread tables, all the commonly accessed parts of the database fit into memory cache when it's all "tightly packed."

We create upwards to a million workunits/results a day in this database, which means the tables would immediately grow too large to be useful, which is why we purge (i.e. delete) them when they are finished - the useful data has been assimilated into the science database at this point anyhow. But deleting isn't in sequence - it's random as results don't return in sequential order. When rows are deleted from a mysql table, it doesn't free up space until ALL rows from the entire database page are deleted - something that isn't likely when done in random order. So even though row counts remain stagnant on these two tables, the tables bloat to roughly twice the size on disk by weeks' end, and mysql memory cache takes a major hit. This is why we have a weekly outage to, among other things, compress the tables (or "repack" them).

Meanwhile, there are daily unavoidable long queries, for example to do user/host/team stats dumps. To dump all this data means reading in whole tables into memory (not just pertinent rows/fields) - queries like this temporarily choke memory cache. Indexes won't help - we're reading in everything no matter what.

Also meanwhile, I haven't mentioned the "credited_job" table which is actually the largest table in the BOINC database. We're still just inserting into it (harmless sequential writes) but I'm afraid this is a disaster waiting to happen once we start actually reading from it.

Bottom line, the BOINC/mysql database is usually fine as of now. It beautifully handles a stunning variety of queries from several public servers and a rather busy backend. A perfect open source solution that folds nicely into the general BOINC philosophy (keep it standard and free). SETI@home is rather large compared to other BOINC projects, so we had to put a lot more TLC into maintaining our mysql servers, and we pass our improvements on to the general BOINC community.

- Matt
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-5-2 07:59:13 | 显示全部楼层

1 May 2008 21:03:51 UTC

Happy May Day!

Not much to report these past couple of days. We've mostly been bogged down doing actual software development, which for me has meant trying to wrap my brain around how to pull useful information out of the science database in an efficient manner. The "efficient" part is the crux given the size of the database. Nevertheless, I will be restarting the skymap processing again - watch for new maps soon, albeit of coarser resolution, but perhaps animated over time. We shall see. Jeff's been in NTPCkr land, mostly, though we've been working through continuing data flow issues together as well. Note how I added a third color (gray) to the splitter status section of the server status page. This denotes files that didn't complete due to error which, at this point, is always due to "ragged" files (i.e. missing blocks at the head/tail containing the radar blanking signal).

We had lingering problems rebuilding the BOINC db replica. Despite getting a clean dump from the master, upon reload the replica complained of broken tables that needed repair. These tables did break in the recent past but have since been fixed, but maybe there were lingering error flags hanging around. Anyway Bob cleaned all that up and it's catching up now (again).

EDIT: in case you're watching the network graphs, we just figured out how to send more data to our archives over the ISP - so the spike is raw data archival traffic, not some kind of sudden workunit download frenzy.

- Matt
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-5-6 19:13:09 | 显示全部楼层

5 May 2008 22:44:09 UTC

Typical weekend - a couple weird things but nothing tragic. For example the assimilator queue ballooned for a while, but then worked its way back down to zero on its own. There might have been mysql database load causing some general malaise like the above - no smoking guns have been found yet.

Otherwise general progress. With the servers doing well I continue to send out reminder e-mails to users who haven't returned results in a while. We consistently fight a general downward trend as people buy new computers and forget to reinstall BOINC. Looking at the recent active user graphs out there I'd say about 10% of the reminder e-mails result in a returning user. Most of them bounce (or get spam filtered). Also a large fraction of these e-mails are currently going to users who haven't sent results back in years. So I imagine the success rate will increase over time, but on the other hand I imagine we won't be sending out such mails as often in the future (the number of people who could be deemed "ready to remind" is finite).

Meanwhile I'm working on finally running the precess fixer (run into some embedded sql issues this afternoon), while Jeff is almost ready to throw the NTPCkr into beta. We actually discussed public data visualization of candidates at our general meeting this afternoon. And it sound like AstroPulse is pretty much ready for prime time as well. Woo-hoo!

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

- Matt
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-5-9 08:14:03 | 显示全部楼层

8 May 2008 21:17:25 UTC

I'll start with hardware - just some minor things. First: the boinc.berkeley.edu website (and alpha projects) were down for a while this morning because the BOINC server froze. Still not sure why, but a power cycle cleared that up. Second: currently AstroPulse scientific data only exists in the "beta" realm - Bob and company are now creating the db spaces on the master science database server along with SETI@home. This may slow things down temporarily due to heavy disk I/O. Third: we got our second new enclosure (the previous one was broken) so we're starting to archive data off site again via our ISP, hence the slightly noticeable bump on our traffic graphs. I guess from this point on you shouldn't assume all transferred bits depicted on said graphs are due to workunit/result exchange.

Software wise, we're chugging along on the various projects mentioned in previous threads. When we all get into programming mode this generally tends to uncover bugs/issues that went unnoticed during network manager mode (or scientist mode, or administrator mode, or ...). Things like being able to insert workunit_groups of any size, but only able to read ones under 8K. Not a problem when all we're doing is inserting, but now that we have to read them back in to do some precess adjustments, this constraint uncovered a few such groups that were extra-large in size. Why? Well, that's what I mean - one little headscratcher leads to another. I've been on this all day, and Jeff's been beating his head on this "ragged file" problem causing some splitters to error out - but when we restart them on the same files they work. Why? Why?! Actually, these problems are kinda fun as when we do discover the root cause there's a happy "a-HA!" moment.

- Matt
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-5-13 12:15:00 | 显示全部楼层

12 May 2008 23:26:00 UTC

Not really much of an exciting weekend server-wise, which is typically a good thing. Lots of little bits and pieces being put together to get the new project and scientific analysis software rolling, but nothing really to report outside of mundane details. Progress in general is temporarily slowed this week - we're a man down as Eric is lost in grant proposal land.

Fedora Core 9 is coming out tomorrow. If the mirrors aren't swamped I may upgrade a test machine or two during the usual Tuesday outage. I'll also start bringing some recently donated servers on line which have been waiting on this release (I didn't want to install 8 just to have it become obsolete that much faster). We may also do some server closet shuffling during the downtime.

Happy belated Mother's Day!

- Matt
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-5-13 14:58:33 | 显示全部楼层
英文!我會讀.一個一個字母的讀!
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-5-14 08:18:33 | 显示全部楼层

13 May 2008 22:11:58 UTC

The standard weekly outage chores (database compression/backup, log rotation, general housecleaning) went by without much incident. It's the extra stuff we try to do at the same time that may or may not be as easy. Today Eric wanted to add a donated (and upgraded) 12TB disk array to his Hydrogen database server, ewen. We also took the opportunity to move a few things around in the closet now that there was rack space (and rack rails that fit!). The moving was fine - however ewen is having problems booting now. Eric added a couple SCSI cards, so maybe there's confusion about where the boot disk is, etc.

In any case, ewen isn't really a SETI@home/BOINC server, but contains enough shared stuff that when it disappears, there's a general malaise in the BOINC backend. Uploads and downloads are fine - it's the splitter, validating, assimilating, etc. that's not going so well (if at all). Eric's beating his head on that. Meanwhile, random unix commands sometimes work immediately, sometimes take 30 seconds to respond. Not so fun. We hope to beyond this before day's end.

I did fight the crowds and downloaded Fedora Core 9 for soon-to-be server upgrades. I'm upgrading one test case now - so far so good.

Jeff has been figuring out the Google Sky API. We'll probably replace the Sloan Survey pix on the science status page with this, as well as use Google Sky to show our current top candidates as they start rolling in via the NTPCkr.

- Matt
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-5-15 08:18:11 | 显示全部楼层

14 May 2008 23:48:03 UTC

More of the same today. General progress slowed by grant proposal effort and continuing ewen debugging - as mentioned in yesterday's note, when ewen is down everything still works, more or less, just veeeeery sloooowly. I'm also experiencing some growing pains trying to install Fedora Core 9 on one of our test servers (which also, as it happens, sends out the "reminder" e-mails). Run into problems with a standard "yum" live upgrade. Fair enough - I went to upgrade it from DVD but only then realized the system has only a CD drive. Sigh. So I had to pluck a DVD drive out of a defunct system. Then finally after the install X isn't working. I'm hoping a yum update at this point will fix that. On the bright side I continued Jeff's effort on Google Sky and converted our science status page to use it. Fun! I'll make a formal announcement of server status updates when I add one or two more things...

- Matt
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-5-16 18:56:57 | 显示全部楼层

15 May 2008 23:35:49 UTC

Okay today wasn't so great, but it could have been worse. Eric had continuing problems with ewen so he tackled that for a couple hours this morning, finally getting the thing to recognize its new SCSI drives upon reboot. The general network malaise that happens when ewen is offline masked the fact that, like before, BOINC mysql database server jocelyn suddenly rebooted itself for no apparent reason, causing the mysql engine to shut down ungracefully and requiring a lengthy cleanup.

So that's why we were offline most of the day. Upon recovering the replica server (sidious) was out of sync - no big surprise there but that means we'll have to rebuild the replica database yet again. What a pain! In theory we should be able to swap relation between these two servers easily during such crises, but we haven't gotten a well oiled procedure in place yet for that. Maybe we'll start running drills on this soon. Thing is we didn't want to get fancy as we're near the end of the week, people are bogged down with the proposal, and I'm actually going out of town tomorrow for a quick private corporate gig in LA so I'm going to be completely out of touch for the next 40 hours starting.... now!

- Matt
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-5-20 13:27:46 | 显示全部楼层

19 May 2008 23:11:32 UTC

Fairly straightforward weekend, server-wise. We're still without our BOINC mysql replica database (see previous note) but we'll clean all that up tomorrow during the usual Tuesday outage. We'll also test some mysql configuration options which may protect us from such failures but at the expense of increasing disk I/O. Basically mysql could write every transaction immediately to disk as opposed to writing all queued transactions in a batch once per second - which doesn't sound like much but we can do hundreds of updates per second at times.

Still fighting with Fedora Core 9 on the test system. Ultimately trying to yum up from FC6 failed, and trying an upgrade from DVD failed - I just couldn't get X to work. So I did a clean install and that fixed the X problem, but there are some surprising but minor issues I'm working around. For example, a bug (or feature) prevented the ifcfg-eth0 script from having a "GATEWAY=" line, so I had to add that by hand to get network connectivity. And autofs wasn't installed by default. I yum'ed it in and it isn't working. I'm debugging that now. Oh I see - "grpid" isn't a valid mount option anymore (?!).

I did add yet more info of nonzero interest to the science status page - namely a link to a chart noting our entire SETI@home data distribution history. I made this chart for internal use originally, but decided it may be fun for the public to see when exactly we observed and roughly how much we analyzed per day. I know I added a couple of web features under the radar lately - I figure we'll publicize all the fun new tidbits in bulk at some point.

- Matt
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-5-21 07:28:07 | 显示全部楼层

20 May 2008 20:44:57 UTC

Today's weekly backup/compression outage was more or less normal, running the "recover replica from backup" drill without ado or incident. That's all continuing now behind the scenes as we already have the main project up and going through its usual quick recovery.

In the previous thread Joker mentions some (broken) changes on the account page, etc. I see that a lot of php files were updated on our web site. We sync our web site from time to time with the most current versions in the BOINC html repository, and of course this may alter behavior of certain pages or break them altogether. The appropriate parties have been notified.

- Matt
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 新注册用户

本版积分规则

论坛官方淘宝店开业啦~
欢迎大家多多支持基金会~

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|中国分布式计算总站 ( 沪ICP备05042587号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 12:38